The Gross National Debt

Monday, November 14, 2011

Trying to stay out of your business

..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.


It's my problem, I freely admit it. It also illustrates how hypocritical I am about certain things.
We could all do better by this.

But, I admit it and that's a huge step toward getting a realist's grip on the matter and beating it down.

The problem comes in part from my being a Christian. The other part comes from my being a sort of laissez faire realist.

Confused? I explain, but first this-

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/12/controversial-crucifix-film-part-nyc-exhibition

On one hand this does not bother me very much. When people who do not believe in my God attempt to use God and His trappings to insult, provoke or otherwise get a negative reaction from me, it doesn't work. Rather the opposite happens.

If you don't believe in something, then using it to get a reaction from someone else is amusing to me. It tells me you are not smart enough to engage me on your ground. It tells me you can't handle me on your own terms. Rather than engage me as an intellectual equal, you have to resort to insults.

This offends a lot of people. Not me.
In short, it tells me you don't have ammunition for a battle of wits.

If you do believe in the same things I do and you denigrate them, I am merely confused. Hey. I am often confused, so it's familiar territory.

But when it comes to actual pursuit of a divinity, ah. This is where I start  to have the personal contradictions.

On one hand, I firmly believe you should be allowed to worship or not as you please, provided it does not impact me. Wanna worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Lemme get you some more sauce. Muslim? G'head. Buddhist? Is OK with me. Atheist? No worries mate.


As long as it does not impact me. Lemme define impact.

When Muslims say they want to kill Christians, that's close to the line of impact. They say they want to kill me specifically, they have impacted me. When they act on these statements, they have absolutely impacted me.

The image of Santa at right does not impact me. I can ignore it and I can disregard it. It is nothing to me.
In case you needed a reminder.

That it offends some people is not my business, nor is it your business. Your feelings are your responsibility, not mine. Feelings are not an impact. Acting on those feelings is an impact. If this was my house and my yard and you tore the cross down, that's an impact. If you protested in front of my house, that could be an impact depending on how loud you are and how you protest.

If you take that cross and hit me with it, you have definitely impacted me.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but works can never hurt me."

Now here is where I have the problem. My faith is such that I believe it is the correct way. When someone does not believe as I do, it bothers me. It bothers me because I perceive them as being wrong. I see a need to correct this. I try to convince the other person of the error of his ways.

Have I now impacted the other person, infringed on his right to worship or not as he pleases?
Toe the line. Get it?

Mmmmm. That's walking awfully close to that line, at least it is from the way I see it.



My realist side manages to keep this in check, which fortunately is not a contradiction with my faith. I am not pushy about about my faith (no one is forcing you to read this). I make my case simply, quietly and do it once. Unless the person comes and asks questions or brings up the subject again, I won't. So, I have backed away from that line.
I also allow the other person an opportunity to explain his position. By allowing an equal exchange, I move even farther away from the line of impact.

But it still bothers me that I have this urge to interfere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.