The Gross National Debt

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Because I forgot

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
He was 92.

He was opinionated.

He had an annoying tone of voice.

He was suspended, briefly, for making comments about certain classes of people.

He was also one of my literary heroes. Like most of the writers I so admire, I never met him.

The late, great Andy Rooney.
I clearly remember sitting in front of the idiot box at home while my parents watched - who complained vigorously about the attack squad that was 60 Minutes - waiting for Andy's segment to come on. I really didn't give a sexually improbable act about the "journalists attack!" part of the show. I was there for Andy.

His commentary did not appear on every show, which annoyed me immensely.

I found Andy funny, massively intelligent, honest, real and willing to share things with me that made him seem like a real human being. He made me think. That he was also a curmudgeon nonpareil also endeared him to me and so many other people.

For that, I count him among my literary heroes.

I also count myself ashamed for all the lists I have made over the years where I listed the writers who influenced me and made me the writer I am today. Until now, none of those lists included Andy Rooney. Those lists need Andy.

I have written what I call "experimental" humor pieces over the years in my career as a professional humorista. While few people find them funny, I do. They are extremely cerebral, which explains why so few people like them.

I also count some of them as among my best work. These pieces are, if not inspired by Andy, certainly massively influenced by him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/us/andy-rooney-mainstay-on-60-minutes-dead-at-92.html

Go rest high on that mountain. Son, your work on earth is done.

1 comment:

  1. I too enjoyed him. I remember how attached he was to his typewriter and finally caved in for a computer. I only would watch his segments too. I am very saddened about the lost of such a witty, sarcastic, intelligent man whom I admired. I will miss immensely.

    -L

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.