The Gross National Debt

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Take it Past The Limit One More Time

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"That young'un just needs a beating," is a comment I hear all to often.

I told you boy! NO MORE FRIES!
When I hear that above "beating" comment, I will often say the kid probably gets plenty of that at home. Physical discipline is not the answer. A beating is not going to make a difference. (Adults with competent mental faculties are a different matter.)

I am of the considered opinion the child needs to be shown some love and respect.

Child abuse does not remedy problems.

A child who is loved and respected will NOT be a behavior problem unless there are physiological conditions like brain damage or the rare ADHD. (yes, it is rare and it is massively over-diagnosed.)

At the same time, I am fully in favor of corporal punishment, but only where merited and only enough to get the point across.

Having set today's stage, the meat of the issue. This first link from Alternet.org is slanted against Christianity. So the author of the piece does some distortion of the record. To be expected. But if you read past the hyperbole, a real story lurks therein.

http://www.alternet.org/story/153006/beating_babies_in_the_name_of_jesus_the_shady_world_of_right-wing_'discipline'_guides
And not always teachers.

The distortion in this piece is not as great as you might think where the two central characters are concerned.  http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/child-training/ contains writings directly from the duo, so you won't have to buy their book.

But the piece does put a negative slant (no surprise) on Christianity and leaves me with the impression the author believes corporal punishment has no place in raising a child.

A slightly more balanced view here of Michael and Debi Pearl - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/us/deaths-put-focus-on-pastors-advocacy-of-spanking.html

The Pearls do advocate taking a switch to children as young a 6 months old.

I advocate taking the Pearls out, tying them to a pecan tree and taking a bullwhip to them. Then, leave 'em tied to the tree.

I have taken a paddle of my kids. I have also spanked 'em with my hand. In all cases, they were over 2 years old. The last time was several years ago. One whop was entirely enough in the great majority of cases. A couple of times twice was needed for my son. The whop was also mild, extremely mild, compared to the impacts they get in playing sports and just being kids.
It's only a flesh wound!

It was not the physical aspect which had the most impact on my kids. It was knowing they had let me down. In other words, the psychological impacts were far greater.

My kids have my respect. I have, by doing this, earned theirs.

On topic again, these articles also point to Christianity in the abuse. It's a good thing these idiots in Christianity don't read the Apocrypha. Nuf said.

The articles do link child abuse to Christianity. I object to that. Christians ain't got a lock on using religion to abuse their kids.

Child abusers are everywhere. All of 'em need to strapped to a pecan tree and introduced to a bullwhip at the very least on first offense. On second offense, throw 'em off a cliff. In some cases, the cliff option is appropriate for the first offense.

This dumps a PDF file to your computer. http://www.nospank.net/bottoms.pdf

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?section=library&page=narisetti_27_4

http://religiouschildabuse.blogspot.com
 
For that matter, religion ain't got a lock on child abuse. Religion allows a for perverted sense of justification. Abusing a child under any circumstance is not acceptable. Abusing a child in the name of a religion is reason enough to hurl the offender and the advocate off a cliff.

If your god tells you to abuse a child, then my God tells me to hurl you off a cliff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.