The Gross National Debt

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Shall we dance?

..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Consider (now edited) this actual excerpt from an actual letter to the editor which I actually printed. Actually.
Fill in the black spots.

"We are here for you when you need us and no we are not perfect we do make errors but my people here in Turner County please don't believe everything you hear or read in this lame newspaper because there are people there that are against us here at Turner County 911. What we don't understand is that there are a lot of EDITED people in Turner County. Someone please tell me why are you not supporting this all EDITED, I said all EDITED not mixed with anything 911 director!!!!!!"

Now, you tell me what the missing word is.

I'll give you a hint. The missing word is not antidisestablishmentarianism.

Another hint? M'kay. When I printed this letter in its entirety, despite being a "lame" newspaper, there was no community outrage that boiled over and generated more hate mail. No one called any other media outlets and accused the writer (and me) of being racist.
In the dark, can you really tell the difference?

Why?

Depending on your choice of word, the letter could have sparked a riot, certainly generated massive calls to other media outlets and branded me racist.

While I am not racist (I am just prejudiced against stupid people), it's my opinion this writer is. The writer wants the readers and the community to support a person simply because of the amount of melanin in their skin.

Why?

If you insist I support someone because of the tone of their skin, then you must also insist I reject someone because of the tone of their skin.

If you insist on such reasoning, then you grant me the right to favor whatever ethnicity I choose over others. You cannot call me racist unless you call yourself the same thing.

I will be attended a City Council meeting in just a bit in which a Council member likely will use the same terminology with the same intention as the letter writer did. Yet, the Council member will not be called a racist.


Why?

This Council member has no problem in dragging out the racism card when one ethnicity is doing something he objects to. When a person of his ethnicity does the exact same thing, it's because the person he objects to is incompetent.

Why?

Does competency come in skin colors all of a sudden? According to this Council member and the letter writer, it does.

Ah. Excuse me. I err. Insisting on carrying out that idea to its logical conclusion is logic. Stupid people cannot use logic. Foolish of me to try, I know.

I'll probably keep doing it too.

Maybe I am  the stupid one, the one who wants to consider people based on how well they use the abilities they have.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.