The Gross National Debt

Friday, August 5, 2011

Can't do it. Nope nope nope

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Won't do any good to ask later, either
He was joking, but I gave a serious reply.

Was talking with a potential candidate for sheriff in my county. The subject of chief deputy came up and I said I was absolutely not interested.

Still ain't.

Years ago I went to the Public Safety Training Center in Forsyth. As part of the day we spent there, I got to go through the Shoot - Don't Shoot simulator. I didn't stand on the line, but I watched others.

The first guy up was told to arrest a person. He went. A man on the screen, the subject, reached behind him and turned around. Our guy shot. 3 times. Killed him. The man on the screen had come back with a Coke can.

After that, no one would shoot, even when the sound of a pump shotgun being racked behind a door was obvious.
The Thin Blue Line.

Nobody walked away from the simulator feeling good.

I've done ride alongs with police for years. Written stories and taken pictures. If it's a crime in the United States, I've probably covered it. Except for treason. Don't recall covering a treason case. Hrm.

That's not my problem with carrying a badge. Readers of this column should already know I have no issues with carrying a gun.

I couldn't be in law enforcement. Not for long anyway.

First time I got called out to make an arrest in a child abuse case, the perp might not make it to the jail in one piece. If I was certain of the abuse, I know the perp would not head to the jail first. Emergency room maybe. Coroner's office maybe.
Speaking of false accusations...

And that would mean I'd be the person being arrested.

I understand, I know and I support the right of anyone accused of a crime being allowed to have their day in court. If you have ever been falsely accused of something, you really appreciate the right for the chance to clear your name. Can I get a witness?

But this is about children.

Children who are abused by the very people they look to for protection.

I am a supporter of the death penalty under certain circumstances.

If you maliciously kill a child (accidents can happen and I am not talking about that), then I have no problem in being your executor. I am fully in favor of the death penalty for people who clearly are guilty of the murder of a child.

As an officer of the law, I fear I would become judge, jury and executioner on the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.