The Gross National Debt

Monday, August 8, 2011

The pot speaks

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
With the downgrading of the United States Government's credit rating (which is long overdue if you ask me), China has been hollering that the US needs to get it's fiscal affairs in order.

Specifically, China said the US needs to cut the military spending and the social network spending.

In other words, China is saying in one voice what the Damnocrats and the Reboobicans have been saying in two voices.

I could not find the Chinese editorial translated in English. Sorry.


http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/08/06/119720/china-slams-us-debt-situation.html

Part of me is highly annoyed by this. China owns $1.3 trillion in US debt, making it the largest loan agency the US has by far. If they have so much invested in the US, why should China bitch?

China don't like it, China cashes in its bonds and leaves.

Another thing that bothers me is, I am Southern. While I was not alive during The War of Northern Aggression, I continue to suffer and chafe under the sanctions imposed on the South as a result of losing that war.
Off topic, but on subject.
Because of this and because I am a rebel born and bred and through and through, I have major objections to anyone telling me what I have to do. You can ask my boss.

China has no business in telling my country what to do.
Toilet paper or money?

Once I get past being mad, my realistic side kicks back in and reminds me of several things.

For years the US and other countries have bitched about China's fiscal policies and demanded that government do more to let the Chinese currency value be determined by the world market. If we have the right to tell China what to do, certainly China has that same right.

China as a new world power is flexing its muscles. It has the right to do that. Again, the United States has been doing that for years. It was not original when we started doing it. Empires are as old as man.

Veterans Day is every day for me.
China is right. We need to cut spending. We need to cut military spending. Bring the troops home. At the same time, we need to increase veteran benefits. I will support any and every cut to the federal budget EXCEPT for veteran benefits. The men and women of our military go forth. Most come back. A few don't come back. A few more come back missing pieces.

They deserve our support when they come back. We should take care of them. If you believe we do not need to take care of them, then I am not interested in you have to say and if you post here to the effect that we don't need to support 'em, you will be blocked and banned. I did not serve in the military.

China is also semi-correct in that Congress can't seem to get its fiscal affairs in order. Semi-correct.

The recent budget fight in Congress shows me Congress DOES have brains (at least some of 'em) and is doing the work congressmen were hired to do.

The "semi" part comes from the first 18 months of the president's administration. With control of both houses of Congress and the presidency, the Damnocrats FAILED to pass a budget, FAILED to create a long term fiscal policy but did massively succeed in driving up the amount of debt the nation has.

I must also admit that China has the right to complain. The right to complain about your investments possibly being mishandled is called capitalism, a concept China is fairly new to. Never mind how China treats its own economy and citizens.


Regardless of all that, in the end I am a rebel and I object to China telling my country what to do. If China doesn't like the way we do business, China can quit doing business with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.