The Gross National Debt

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Psychotic Readings FREE!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
Before satellite feed radio took over, I was a regular on a nearby radio station's morning show. I'd call in, show up and when one of the regulars was on vacation, I'd go to the studio to fill in and guest DJ.


And end with emptying your wallet.
On Thursdays, we had a call-in show featuring a "psychic" from out west. Callers would get one question answered for free. More questions, you had to call the lady and pay.

Like many of you, I asked her why she didn't use her "ability" to win the lottery or something like that.

"I can't use my ability for personal gain," she said.

Ah. But she could use her ability to provide information to other people and then receive money from them for providing this information.

Can you say "cognitive dissonance?" I knew you could.


One Thursday I was guest DJ'ing and the lady was out (like far out man!). She was at another radio station somewhere else in the nation doing a live appearance.

We had a caller who wanted a "psychic" reading. The main DJ and I immediately offered a free "psychotic reading" but the caller demurred.

I had the chance to meet this lady in person. Yes. I asked a question. I asked if I'd kill a deer that year.

She said "yes." and said I had two places to  hunt. I'd kill the deer in the second place.

As it happens I did kill a deer, three in fact, in Alabama. It was the first deer I'd ever killed.
Highly recommended TV show. I am serious.

As also happens, I was there when a person I know called in and asked if she'd ever get back together with her ex husband. The psychic said "yes." As of today, nearly 15 years later, the caller is now living in another state married to someone else. The ex husband has since gone on to become an ex husband to several other women.

All this in mind, I ask if you have heard of James Randi. Randi has made quite a career of exposing liars and frauds. Unlike those he calls out, Randi is not proven wrong.

Penn & Teller did a show on "psychics" and those who claim to speak to dead people & so forth. I HIGHLY recommend watching that episode and any other episodes you can lay your hands on. They reference Randi frequently. P&T did not say such abilities do or do not exist, but they do say the celebrity types are all more full of shit than a constipated elephant. And they prove it.

That in mind, the $1 Million Challenge has been renewed. All a "psychic" has to do is prove they have the ability. They get $1 Million. In case they suffer from extreme cognitive dissonance, the money can also be directly donated to a charity so the "psychic" won't even have to touch the money.


http://news.discovery.com/human/1-million-psychic-challenge-110822.html


Myself, I don't see the problem here. Randi's foundation can either pay the "psychic" (after all, they do make money doing this) or donate it to charity.
Bring it.

Put up or shut up.

[sound of crickets chirping]

Yeah.

All this does not mean I do not believe in "psychic" abilities. Like Randi and most intelligent people, you can file me under "I don't know."

But I must also admit I have seen things which I cannot explain. I've witnessed people say things that they should have no way of knowing, do things science says is impossible. I can't explain it.

I am reminded of the old saw "any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic." Just because I can't explain it doesn't mean someone else can't.

These people, I've met 2, never take money for what they do. If offered money, they would not take it. These folks also are not interested in publicity, fame or any of the other trappings. They are only interested in helping people.

I suspect they are also dead now, as they were very old when I met them years ago.

Regardless, such folks won't take Randi's challenge.

If psychic abilities really do exist, such ability will be found in these folks and it will never be quantified because they won't participate in the necessary trials. They are only interested in helping people and to them, that is reward enough. People who charge for such "help" are nothing more than frauds and deserve to be legally prosecuted as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.