The Gross National Debt

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Botheration, said Pooh

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
His best work, in my opinion anyway.

Bonus points if you can tell me the circumstances under which that was said, by whom and to whom. It’s taken from “Time Enough for Love” which is Robert Heinlein’s seminal work according to me. YMMV.

I have just finished re-reading that book. I am struck by how much of my own personal philosophies are found in the pages. It got me to wondering how much of an influence was RAH on the person I am today.

The answer? Damfino. I was an adult by the time I was introduced to RAH. But I found much in his work which appealed to me. I have adopted some of what he set forth as guides for myself.

Which in turn got me to thinking about all the people who’ve had an influence on me. That number is beyond my counting. If you have met me, and offered more than a handshake upon which you disappeared, you’ve had an effect. A lot of people who simply gave me a handshake and disappeared have also affected me.
A brief linguistics lesson on behalf of my sister Rachel.


Folks I continue to associate with continue their work, whether willing or unwilling, conscious or not.

The question, then, is what kind of influence? For good or bad? Have you improved me or degenerated me? Was it a lateral move maybe?

What kind of effect do you hope you’ve had on me?

As I tell the guys in prison “You may be the only Bible some people ever read. What are they reading in you?”
The many, the confused, the uncertain.

At the same time, I have to admit I have affected people. I have shaped them. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes unintentionally. Sometimes against their will, sometimes with cooperation of varying degrees.

I wonder, what’s been my effect on you? I know what I want that to be. I want you to be more open, less judgmental, more questioning, with increased critical thinking skills.

I fear I’ve had the opposite effect on far too many people. I've shut them down, turned the off and made them more entrenched in their ways.

That bothers me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.