The Gross National Debt

Friday, June 24, 2011

As SW says FREE WEEDIES!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Not quite.

But unless you've been totally disconnected today, you know some reprehensibles and Rep. Ron Paul in Washington have signed on to a bill to make marijuana legal in the United States.
National organization for people who can't remember what comes next.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/bill+would+legalize/4998773/story.html

While I am long on record about this, I note here my HS English Teacher added her voice to the calls to legalize it on FB today.

Well. I was surprised at that.

How far is this gonna go?
About that far.
Anyway, as I masticated some chicken for my midday repast, I got to thinking about this.

Say this actually passes. What does this mean for business?
Whew. Good to know the brewery quits but what about the employees?

Obviously businesses can prohibit employees from inhaling while at work. Or is it that obvious?

Lotsa places allow workers to Take 5 to step outside and fire up a cancer stick.

Most workplaces I know have an on-the-job alcohol policy. How well does that work? Alcoholics generally ignore such policies. Most places I know also turn their head if someone has a cold drink at lunch.

But proving someone is smashed or at least tipped a few while on the job is fairly simple. Aside from watchin' 'em, you can run a breathalyzer and if they won't do that, $75 for a blood test. Alcohol burns out of the average human system pretty quickly, so those tests are fairly reliable for checking to see if someone is doing 12 ounce curls on the job.
In this cup please. THE CUP! Jeez, your keyboard is now a mess.

Tain't the same with mary jane.

The measured components of what Ozzy calls sweet leaf remain in the system for some time. Furthermore you don't even have to partake in order to have it show in your system. Myself I've never even held ganja, except when I tagged along with law enforcement and they were staging a raid. Not being sanctimonious - just never wanted it. But I have been around those who chose.

(If I keep rhyming, someone slap me.)

That's enough to get it into my system enough to show on a test.
Just throwing this out for your consideration. No opinion offered.

So if a business has a policy that blunts are not permitted during working hours or prior to coming to work that day, how you gonna check? Really. I don't know.

As for it being legal to check, welllllll, yes that's probably legal.

T'other 2.5 gillion pound gorilla on the block is - can a business prevent their employees from partaking of MarryHUEwanna at any time while NOT on the job? Pilots cannot have an alcoholic drink a serious amount of time before they get behind the yoke.

What about school bus drivers would you feel safe with your kids on a bus driven by someone fried to the gills on dope?

Is there a way to tell exactly how stoned a person is? We can judge blood alcohol content. How about THC content? If so, where's the benchmark?

There's another matter lurking on the horizon here which I shall dispose of forthwith.

From the above story: "Mexican President Felipe Calderon, whose country is the main supplier of
Word to da prez of Messico.
marijuana to the United States, warned recently that legalizing cannabis would make it tougher for countries like Mexico to prosecute farmers for growing a product that was legal in the United States."

I'll start worrying about THAT when the Mexican government passes laws that prohibit THEIR FARMERS from using chemicals outlawed for farmers in the United States and so forth. Make illegal in MehHEECo what is illegal in the US. We'll talk then, FeeLeepay.

I'm willing to give the same amount of attention, concern and regulation to US laws affecting Mexico as Mexico does to the United States.

When Calderon levels his side of the playing field, I'll demand the same on the US side.

1 comment:

  1. I personally find the use of any drug for recreational purposes reprehensible (Yes I am a Caffiend and yes that is a drug, but thats my particular monkey and I am often times bothered by my addiction) However I am all for legalizing MJ because, quite simply put, people are gonna use it and grow it anyways so lets make it legal so we can at least profit off off of the sales. Also if made legal, MJ would fall under the auspices of the FDA where rules and restrictions on chemicals and production could be put into place so that all the harmful chemicals and unsafe growing practices going on now could be controlled. Yes there will be other issues to deal with such as my brother mentioned, but all that is already going on now on a grand scale so nothing will change.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.