The Gross National Debt

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The new logic

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
An opinion is not a fact.

A lot of people will not accept this. They state their opinion as a fact. While I want to call this the "new logic" it's not new and it's been around as long as humans have been around. I just get annoyed when someone presents their opinion to me as a fact and insists I'm an idiot because I don't accept their opinion as fact.
Pretty much
I may be an idiot. But I also refuse to subscribe to a delusional world view. At least, I'm not subscribing to someone else's delusional world views. Mine is a different matter.

That said, as I understand it, a fact is something that be empirically proven.

Anything that can't be proven empirically, proven under controlled circumstances and can be proven over and over again is not a fact.

But why?
Of course, I have been wrong in the past and likely will be wrong again. I very well may be wrong now.

But I wonder how an opinion can become a fact. Some people, especially politicians but not limited to this class of entities, put forth an opinion and consider it to be fact. Reminds me of the last part of the Taming of the Shrew.

In other words, the person says something and it becomes fact. A new fact has been spoken into existence

God complex much?

Yesterday I engaged in a historical discussion on religious texts, a bunch of 'em, online. The religious aspect was not discussed, merely the history. One of the thread participants offered this statement (typos are the writer's not mine) "[S]o wondered, maybe you have proof of all events in the bible?9sarcasm), otherwise, it is not my opinion."

Of course, I am wrong here, but just because I can't prove everything in the Bible, it is not factual, this writer's opinion becomes fact? The writer called the Bible "a historical fiction based on truths myths and ppropoganda." (typos not mine.)

A lack of evidence is not proof one way or another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.