The Gross National Debt

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Multiple diagnosis disorder

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
By now I'm sure you've heard New York has passed stage one of getting a a gun control law in place. Among other things, the law allows guns to be confiscated from people identified as having dangerous mental health issues.

While many people may applaud this, I am not.

Who decides if a person has sufficient mental instability?

"Get real Baker. The NY proposal says 'mental health professionals,'" you tell me.

Ah so.

Who picks the mental health professional?

"Whatta ya mean, Baker?"

Exactly what I said. Who gets to pick the mental health professional to determine whether or not a person is mentally competent to have access to a firearm?

The government? The same government which ranks 37th out of 50 for corruption risk, according to StateIntegrity.org? You are really willing to trust the government to make such decisions, knowing how well they've managed in the past?

Lemme run this out a bit further. Chances are very good that I have more experience in courtrooms than you. Yes, I know CH, Judge P and a few others leave me in the dust when it comes to courtrooms, but I refer to the majority of my readers.

How many criminal and other cases have seen "expert" mental health witnesses testifying exactly the opposite to what the other side says from the witness stand? If it's not exactly the opposite, there is enough difference of opinion to make or break a case.

I call it multiple diagnosis disorder.

And you want a "mental health expert" to make a call as to whether or not someone should be allowed access to a gun?

Sooner or later, this is going to kicked to a judge too. Do you want a judge, who has little to no training in what constitutes mental health to decide if a person is stable?

Here's the real kicker. What if someone comes up and decides you are unstable? Not just to have a gun, but to even be in charge of your own life?

Do you really think it couldn't happen?

Cognitive Disconnect does not live here. It may live with you, but not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.