The Gross National Debt

Sunday, January 27, 2013

In fear of absolutism

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
A few things scare me. Some more than others. One which does scare me is an absolutist.
This is one area where I really appreciate the true scientist. The true scientist says "I can state this, because of observations and available information. If more observation and information becomes available, I may have to change."

That means the scientist is open to reason. A person who is open to reason is safe, well fairly safe.
Wild boars cannot be reasoned with.

A dogmatic absolutist is not safe and I do not care what side of the divide the person falls on. A dogmatic absolutist blows himself up and takes other with him in hopes of getting to his version of paradise. You can take that literally or figuratively.

An absolutists believes he knows what is right for someone else. That scares me beyond measure.

Such people are liarberals, cantservatives, Reboobicans, Damnocrats and whatever other political persuasion and party you care to insert. They all believe they know what is best and everyone should toe that line.

I don't quite understand that.

I do not recall ceding control of my life to anyone. I do recall making some compromises. For instance, I have agreed to get a license so I may drive Purple Haze, my motorcycle. I have further made other compromises so that I may drive my truck, car and a school bus (which no doubt scares a lot more people).
I do not like all the compromises I have made in order to drive, but at the same time I'm quite certain those on the other side are less than happy about me being behind the wheel or handlebars.

These are my choices. I can opt to not drive a motorized vehicle in which case I need not have a license.

There are lots of other compromises I make. The point is I have a choice. I can make the compromise or not.

If the balance is too far out of sync or beyond my willingness to meet the other side, I refuse.

That, at least to my thinking, is fair. I'm in a minority there.
Not just in physics...

When someone else forces me to make a compromise, then it is not a compromise. It is an unjust, unethical and should be illegal use of force. Force also comes in more flavors than physical. It can be economic, mental, emotional, social, etc. This is absolutism. These people tell me, "It is my way, or no way." No way, in this case, also results in the use of force, which is more absolutism.

I have long said we attack that which we fear. I view this as a defensive attack, yes sometimes pre-emptive.

I fear absolutists and absolutism because of how I perceive them to be a threat to me. I attack them. I will continue to do so. With each attack, I will weigh the strength and effect of the attack against potential and possible reprisal. In this too, I must compromise.
Good hysteria!

You may call me an absolutists because of that position, but I wish to add the following:

I also fear absolutism because there is no consistency.  The rules are applied with massive inequity. What works here, according to an absolutist, may not work here and that's all which will be said. There can be no discussion.

Why? Absolutism is based on hysteria and there can be no reasoning with the hysterical. Hysteria sees exactly what is not there and cannot be convinced otherwise. I said and I meant "exactly what is not there."

Someone else will point out one of my favorite Bible verses - A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways. Troo Dat. But a person who is willing to accept new information is not double-minded.

I accept new information. That I do not like the new information is irrelevant. Reality will not reorder itself because I object.

Absolutists don't get that. This is another reason I fear them.

1 comment:

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.