The Gross National Debt

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pat Robertson said what?

..
.
.
.
.
.

.


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Religious right ultranocommonsensetive Pat Robertson actually did come out and say he supports the legalization of marijuana. Betcha.
You're not paranoid if you have proof.

This has put him at odds with other Christian fundamentalist groups, like the American Family Association and others.

I note here many of these Christians, if they thought they could get away with it, would edit the Bible. There are parts of the Bible they will not discuss, do not like and wish they could excise.

I gleefully and loudly say to these people "He didn't turn the water into Tang!"

I have also pulled my Bible out and pointed to passages in it wherein people are directed to get drunk. Yes. The Bible specifically states there are times when a person should get falling down drunk. These circumstances are narrowly defined tho.
And it wasn't Ripple either.

But I get off topic again.


Mr. Robertson said he enjoyed a glass of wine now and then — “When I was in college, I hit it pretty hard, but that was before Christ.” He added that he did not think marijuana appeared in the Bible, though he noted that “Jesus made water into wine. I don’t think he was a teetotaler."

Our best records indicate marijuana was being used around the time the New Testament was written. But the Bible is silent on it.

Reckon why?

Mr. Robertson goes on to ask what is the real difference between marijuana and alcohol. I ask the same thing. 

For one thing, alcohol is more dangerous. Ever met someone fried on weed who wanted to fight? Ever met someone who wanted to fight after chugging a six pack?
 
Alcohol is listed as a major contributing factor in hundreds of fatal wrecks around the nation every year. As best I was able to find, one wreck in England listed marijuana as a major factor. I do not count the people who are distracted while trying to roll one as this kind of distraction can happen when trying to open a beer, adjust the radio, eat a sandwich, send a text message, watch a cow in a field and so on. 

Beyond this, I ask what gives government (i.e. YOU) the right to determine whether or not I can roll one?

Before you answer that, riddle me this.

How many people have died as a direct result of marijuana use? I mean the use of it killed them. Not incidentals, like rolling one while driving and crashing into a tree. I mean show me the number of people killed because marijuana poisoned them, clogged their arteries, gave them cancer, etc etc etc.

How many people have died as a result of alcohol abuse? Cirrhosis of liver comes to immediate mind. People who get drunk and beat up spouses and children come to mind. Drunk drivers come to mind.
The truth is - we don't know for sure.

Tobacco? How many people die annually from over the counter drugs? How about simply over eating?

Yeah, I know. I'm seeking rationality in the very embodiment of irrational. Government does not make sense. It's not designed to.

As for me, I'm not interested in smoking. But if you want to fire one up in the evening when you get home, I just don't see a difference between that and you having a beer after work.

No doubt my attitude and opinion here will cause even more "Christians" to ostracize and damn me as they do now upon seeing Blue Moon in the fridge and Knob Creek by my recliner. So be it. I ain't here to live for them, impress them or care about their opinion of me.

Jesus didn't turn the water in Tang. I don't know if He lit one up or baked some into the supper loaves, but I don't care either.

On that, Pat Robertson and I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.