The Gross National Debt

Friday, January 6, 2012

This ain't your ordinary hamburger

As always, text is at the end of the dots..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
On a borrowed comp, so no images. But then yer not gonna want images anyway.

Few things up front:

Yeah, according to some people, I have eaten some strange stuff. I have not, and hope I never have to eat a dog.

I am personally responsible for the demise of a number of dogs. I grew up in the country. For some reason people thought it was OK to toss unwanted animals out near our house. I saved some taxpayer dollars and killed the animals myself. I have also been attacked by a dog, still have the scars and I have killed aggressive dogs.

That I have eaten such critters as beluga whale, squirrel and coon is enough to turn some folks stomach. I remind you that in some places in the world, eating a pork chop can get you killed. In some places, if you kill a cow you might be killed in turn.

That which you find offensive is routine to others and what you find routine is offensive to others.

I also warn you, what follows is mildly graphic and probably quite disturbing.

Dog consumption a rite of passage in Benin.

If you are among those disgusted and revolted and possibly angered, what gives you the right to judge those people? If you eat any kind of meat, are you any different from them?

Have you ever been around a commercial cattle ranch? Hog farm? Poultry house? I have. Growing up, I helped raise cattle. We raised a few hogs. I've been in and around chicken houses.

If you eat meat purchased at a grocery store, what is the real difference between you and the people in Benin?

The people in Benin are honest about what they do. They know exactly where the meat comes from. They know exactly what has to happen to put that meat in the pot. They take responsibility for their actions in procuring the meat.

The people in Benin, who eat dogs, may be disgusting and so forth to you, but I respect them. I can't condemn them, especially while living in this nation which slaughters millions of chickens a day. They are willing to get their hands bloody.

Are you willing to do the same?

Could you kill an animal, butcher it and consume the meat? That meal you had tonight, today, yesterday or are planning for the future. Where did the meat come from? If you don't know the exact origins and conditions under which the animal was raised and slaughtered, then who is the more honest person here, you or the Benin people?

I neither condone nor condemn the slaughter of the dogs for a meal. I just accept the fact it happens.

And tomorrow, I will eat meat. I will eat meat from an animal which died by my hand, which I butchered. I have an excellent idea of how the animal was conceived, born and lived up until the point I killed it.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.