The Gross National Debt

Friday, October 7, 2011

Of teenagers and fast food

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
I do not willingly arise at 4:30 a.m. and stay up even to hunt or fish. 5:30 is plenty early enough for that.

But.

Yes but.

Today I arose at 4:30 a.m. not to hunt, not to fish, not to do anything for myself.

I hauled out of bed to take 70 teenagers to Albany to be on TV, Channel 31, the morning show. Our high school and middle school band. I drove the long bus. With the girls.

We arrived right about daylight. The kids performed twice on live TV and rocked the house. We are now in the running for  $50,000 grant from some TV show (I think) called Glee. 50K will buy some uniforms, for which we've been raising money for the past 10 or so years.

The kids were well behaved as well.

The fun part came when we crossed the road to a fast food joint to let 'em buy breakfast. I thought the restaurant crew was going to stroke out. We literally packed the place past legal capacity.

Other people coming in for a morning jolt and heartburn never bothered to look until they got inside. Eyeballs popped. One guy literally doubletaked at the door. He opened it, looked in, closed it, opened and looked and left.

More than 30 people showed up, gandered at the crowd of kids and exited stage somewhere else for the morning fuel up. The cop was the best one.

He was talking on a cell phone. Walked in. Looked up.

"oh my god,"

And he walked out. You shudda been there.

And, being the bus drive, I got my food for free. Huzzah!

The kids are safely back at school (at least as safely as I could deliver 'em there. And I get to drive a bus again tonight to go to the football game.

We may be stopping for supper since I eat free. Especially if I can find a seafood or steak buffet place.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.