The Gross National Debt

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Baby I was borned this way part II

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Before reading this, suggestion you read part 1 first:
http://porkbrainsandmilkgravy.blogspot.com/2011/10/baby-i-was-borned-this-way-part-i.html

 That outta the way...

A severe, but voluntary, mental problem. Not a handicap.

OK. Define handicap. Items I touch on above are included in the definition.

Blindness. Handicap? Yep. Missing limb? OK. Mental retardation? Absolutely. Ignorance? Noooo. Ignorance is simply a lack of knowledge, which can be cured. Stupidity? Absolutely not. Stupidity is an intentional lack of knowledge.

Good, good, but these are examples. Not a definition.

Consider this - A handicap is a non-voluntary condition which causes other people to treat the handicapped person differently than non-handicapped people. The treatment in question is worse than that given to non-handicapped people. Or not. The treatment can be better.
How's that working for you?

Regardless, it has to be a treatment that has nothing to do with the handicap.

Non-voluntary is important. (Just cause yer fat doesn't mean this is a handicap. Fat people, shuddup unless you agree with me. At 350 pounds, I am absolutely qualified to say being fat ain't a handicap. Nuf said.)

Do you agree? If you disagree gimme yer definition. For now, we'll run with my definition. Other definitions will be added to part 2, soon's I can get it posted - after today.


This brings another question - Is treating handicapped people worse than non-handicapped people "right" or "wrong?" Is treating them better "right" or "wrong?" is treating them differently in any way, shape or fashion, "right" or "wrong?" Do the handicapped deserve different treatment?
At the intersection of Decision Road.
Because you fit under the bed.

How about you? How do you treat such people?

Now lemme give you this one - I can point to a handicap, as defined here, which causes the so affected people to be treated worse than non handicapped person. What do you think should be done? An example of worse treatment - so handicapped people routinely get higher interest rates on mortgages, regardless of income, credit, standing in the community, etc etc etc. Yeah, this is proven. Proof tomorrow. Meantime, take my word for it.

These so-handicapped people are also ostracized in society. Is this right?

I also tell you I am guilty of being prejudiced against people with this handicap, but less and less so as I get older.

To make matters worse, I tell you this handicap is somewhat subjective, making it that much harder to define. Again, this relies on the definition I provided.

Like some handicaps, this one also has degrees. It can range from slight to severe.

Yes, I know you are wondering what the handicap is. Just to prove how evil I am, I will tell you  in the next post. I want you to consider these questions. Remember I am talking about an involuntary condition as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.