The Gross National Debt

Friday, October 7, 2011

Baby I was borned this way Part I


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Yep. A 3 parter. Part 1 today. Hope to get Part 2 up tomorrow and Part 3 Sunday when I get out the deer stand.

Baby I was borned this way.
Self made person. Should have hired someone to do it.

Sometimes. Not always. Sometimes changes are thrust upon us, sometimes they gradually creep up on us.

This is not a piece on Lady Gaga or homosexuals. Keep reading and find out what I'm talking about.

Should handicapped people be given special protections under the law to make sure they receive treatment equal to non-handicapped people? And before you answer this, let me remind you of two things


1) Your answer may be used to beat you down.


2) You have no idea where I'm going with this, only that it's gonna be an interesting ride.

I am of two minds about this. I do not believe such places as private restaurants and businesses should be forced, under the law, to make accommodations for handicapped people. I prefer letting market forces drive such adaptations and changes.

Example:
nuf said.


Walk into a giant retail store these days and you'll see a row of motorized electric shopping carts. Mobility impaired shoppers can jump in one and shop and shop and shop. Folks my age recall the days when this was not the case.

This is a prime example of business adapting to meet the needs of customers.

If a business refuses to make the changes needed to serve a group of people, those folks will take their business elsewhere. These semi-blocked customers can also agitate for change: boycotts, protests and reform campaigns which do not require legal action, but do mobilize the general public to take action with their wallets.

I like it. A lot.

I also support laws which require basic services to be afforded to all equally regardless of handicap. Examples? Utilities, basic banking services, treatment under the law. You can probably think of a few more.
Or just exceptionally fat.

At the same time, I support laws which force public places, spaces and such to make adaptations for the handicapped. Curb cuts (which are used more by non-mobility impaired than the handicapped) is a great exampled. Elevators in public buildings. The older I get , the more stairs are a pain for me.

So, I "ax" you again. Should handicapped people be given special protections under the law to make sure they receive treatment equal to non-handicapped people?

Next post, I look at the definition of handicapped and pose some additional questions. And you still don't know where I'm going with this. Guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.