The Gross National Debt

Friday, July 8, 2011

I interrupt my gripping game of solitaire to bring you this announcement

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Been a rough couple of weeks for your not-so-humble scribe down here where we live next door to God's home on earth. Nothing me, God and a loaded 12 gauge can't handle you understand, but wearing all the same.
Gotta beef with your editorial...

Unfounded, unwarranted, misdirected and poorly informed criticism of me and my job are par for the course around here. We in the newspaper bidnez have a jocular saying that when no one is complaining, it was a good story. When people start complaining, we're really doing a good job.

It's still wearing on us. It's a reason newspaper editors rank near the top in stress and stress related health disorders.

But again it comes with the territory.

Gotta say as much as it cranks my tractor when people attempt to flay me alive for doing my job and doing it right, it still bothers me.

Unlike some things that bother me and I do not understand, in this case I not only understand, but I have the hide skinned, tanned, and hanging on wall next to the skull.

It's intentional and deliberate ignorance compounded by pride and prejudice.

People don't know, won't know and will refuse any and all attempts to help them know.
And it ain't cause I want to be either.

I also call that stewpid.

Stewpid goes beyond ordinary stupidity.

I just can't abide that kind of mentality. It bothers me far more than it should.

So yeah, I've been swamped the past two weeks or so by the stewpid.

Rationality goes out the window. The people defenestrating try to bundle me into it as well.

--15 second musical break. Music of your choice--

While I don't have the wisdom of Solomon and I am often wrong, I can see what's right. Provide me with compelling evidence and I'll change my mind. Except about armadillos. Everyone has the right to be totally irrational about one thing and armadillos is mine.

I admit not everything is black and white. Nor is it always gray. Limiting it to just colors isn't even broad enough.

Which category do you fall into?
But still, some things can be reduced to the lowest common denominator that anyone can understand. Whether they are willing to understand, well that's where my stress factors being to orbit another solar system.

Doing the right thing does not mean exacting revenge on someone else. Nor does it mean thwarting their efforts. It especially does not mean blocking their attempt to do the right thing.

Do a cynical old irascible newspaper editor a favor if you would be so kind.

Just for a day, leave your prejudices, personal issues and complaints about other people at home. To paraphrase Rodney King "Just get along." Do the right thing, even if you don't want to.

Do you have it? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.