The Gross National Debt

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Having writers for breakfast

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This is not a column about writing. I promise. It just superficially looks like it.

Ever done something and been surprised that you actually enjoyed doing it?

Before I further engage that idea, lemme pass along some information that will set a stage.

A collection of monumental puns. But fun.
Piers Anthony is famous, or infamous depending on which side of the literary divide you fall, for arguing with editors and publishers. In that he's not unusual.

What does put him in a slightly different category is the extremes to which he takes his arguments. As I recall, he's several times refused to back down much to the chagrin of the publishing house resulting in several different kinds of fallout and some contract splits. It's either him or another famous writer in the same genre.

But then Piers is one of those rare authors who can put his name on a grocery list and have it become a bestseller. I am not saying he's done this. But other authors (Stephen King) have pretty much done this and achieved wild success.

In his Xanth novels, which have increasingly become less entertaining and more formula, he still relies heavily on readers and reader input. This too sets him a bit apart from most of the ink slinging crowd.

Piers leaves me with the impression that editors exist to annoy him, reduce the quality of his work and generally get in his way.
I don't smoke any more.

Speaking as a full time editor, I have to admit this is the case with bad editors. But good editors, aye, they are a treasure.

I have worked with and had my copied tinkered with by both kinds. The good editors - the editor at the now defunct New Wineskins magazine comes to mind he was AWESOME! - are worth everything they get. Bad editors need to pushed into a shark tank.

I will not comment on my abilities as an editor, except to say that it is often a mistake to think you can adequately edit your own stuff.

With all that in mind, I was recently asked to edit a manuscript from a longtime friend Paul and his wife Sabrina. They write a blog about writing http://writeryourbabyisugly.blogspot.com  and I shan't comment about that further.

Yep. And I like it!
Normally I look at editing another writer as way to engage my sadistic side. I sometimes comment in writer forums that I eat writers for breakfast. It's not literal, but close. People who've asked me to really edit their stuff have walked away in tears. Some got mad. Some tore their stuff up. The ones worthy of being writers gritted their teeth, implemented my suggestions and turned a truckload of coal into a giant diamond. As an editor, I have driven two people completely out of the field of journalism. They packed up and found a new career. I am not sorry for this either. These two people didn't have what it takes to be a journalist and I did them a favor.

In dealing with writers I take no prisoners, in case I didn't make that clear.

In editing folks who are not writers and are just trying to get a point across, I'm very different. Not mean at all. Kind and gentle. Extra novocaine if you need an analogy.

That's me.
Where Paul and Sabrina are concerned, I am not holding anything back. I have, however, discovered something which surprised me. Warning - abrupt subject change incoming (that's how you do that kinda segue Paul, Sabrina and Rebel).

I have found there is a universe of difference in editing a book manuscript and a press release submitted to the newspaper.

In editing their MS, I have discovered I like it, the editing that is. A lot. Nearly as much as writing (except that writing is, well, never mind). This surprised me. A lot. (I also like the book, a lot, but don't tell them yet as I'm not through beating them up.)

As to the quality of my editing, that's again something I can't comment on.

Everyone pretty much thinks they can write a book (and you can if you can write). I shall poke your party balloon with a giant pin now. Just because you can write a book doesn't mean it's worth reading.

While I have known this for a LONG time, going over P&S's manuscript has simply reinforced it.
An independent eye.

We all need an editor. We need someone with an independent eye to look at our stuff. We need someone who really doesn't give a damn about hurting our feelings and who will tell us the truth. If we are willing to listen and go along with the good suggestions, it will improve our work.

Think about yourself now. Could you use an editor in your life? Could you use some advice in how you are running yourself?

Who would you rather surround yourself with - people who will lie to you and make you feel good, for a moment anyway, or have people in your life who'll tell you the truth no matter how much it hurts?

As for me, bring on the pain. I'm a writer and whatever does not kill me makes me stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.