The Gross National Debt

Friday, December 9, 2011

Remembering a legend

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Every so often in life you meet a legend.

I met one many years ago.


If you did not get to meet him in this life, it's too late.
http://www.iveyfuneral.com/sitemaker/sites/iveyfu0/obit.cgi?user=531360Wingate

My friend Jack Wingate was one of the most real people I have ever met. Anyone who knew him would say the same thing.

I have yet to meet anyone who did not like and admire Jack Wingate, former owner of Wingate's Lunker Lodge on the shore of Lake Seminole.

Best known for his love of fishing, Jack told me one day while he toured me across his loved lake, he had a greater passion than fishing - archeology. He was as proud of the mammoth tooth and stone-age ax hanging on the walls of the Lodge as he was of any of the animal trophies.

On that day, I also got to fish with him. There are anglers around the world and anglers yet to be who now envy me. As well they should. An angler like Jack Wingate is more rare than a 20 pound largemouth bass.

His funeral will be the largest Bainbridge has ever had. People from across the nation and likely the world will attend.

As for me, I will miss him and regret that my children never got to fish with him as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.