The Gross National Debt

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Baaa. Baaaa. Baaaaaa.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The news from Atlanta ain't good. Jake's condition is not good.

Jake is my nephew and he's been at Egleston for the better part of a month with heart problems. Jake is 6.

Egleston is on the NE side of Atlanta. Jake's doctors are with the Sibley Cardiac facility, the same folks who took care of Jesse when he was born and for the first few years of his life.

As Jake is no longer in intensive care, his Dad's room at the Ronald McDonald house was given to people who's child is in worse shape than Jake. (Can't argue that.)

This is Atlanta, some four hours and 200+ miles from where they live.

We have family all over Atlanta, including more'n a few on the east side.

I say we have family. There are people who live on that side of the Big Peach who trace recent ancestral ties to Shag, myself, Jake and Rachel.

That's the correct way of phrasing it.


Family is not just a blood connection, despite blood being thicker than water. Family are the people who are there for you when you need 'em.

In that regard, we do have family in Atlanta. But none of 'em are qualified to attend the Baker Family reunion each summer. The ones who meet the qualifications to attend the reunion...

There's an outside chance some of my relatives will get to read this. It will reconfirm their opinion of me, that I am the black sheep of the family.

That's OK. Let 'em think that. I'm not the one turning away from a relative in need.

Family is the people who are there when we need 'em, no matter how close or distant the genetic link. That's not just for me. It's for you too.

The recent postings on FB have resulted in people who are not related to us by genetics for centuries if not longer offering help - credit cards to pay for a motel room, straight out cash and not to mention massive prayers and offerings before altars all around the world.

You  are my family.

There is no way we can ever repay you all for what you have done, are doing and will do.

You. Yes, you are my family, not those others.

If thinking that way makes me a black sheep, then I shall wear my coal-colored wool with pride. I'm in better company with you folks anyway.

2 comments:

  1. It really burns me up that people are like that. I feel so bad for your brother's family and little Jake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that feeling and it's a real shame. I will continue to keep you and Jake in my prayers and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.