The Gross National Debt

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

And tell me why you think that way

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This is gonna sound foolish, at least to start with, but bear with me. (I hope it doesn't get worse).
The Government Office on Toilet Paper Hanging

Imagine you own a hardware store. You sell a variety of things in this store, but you do not sell hedge trimmers because you are ethically opposed to trimming hedges (yes, I know this is ludicrous but keep going.)


A shopper comes in to your store, sees you do not sell hedge clippers. The shopper files a lawsuit demanding you start carrying hedge clippers.

Is this right or wrong? Should the courts be able to step in and order you to sell hedge clippers?

   Sound stupid? Would you believe me if I said it is happening?

That in particular hasn't happened, but government is increasingly dictating how people can and can't run their businesses.

If you follow that link you can come back and argue I'm comparing apples to vinyl siding. In a sense I am. Hedge clippers and "morning after" pills are widely disparate.
Not this blog, but government.

But the essence remains. Government is attempting to dictate how a business owner can conduct business when neither item is absolutely necessary to keep a person alive and healthy. This is not like a dose of penicillin or other antibiotic which is necessary to keep a person from dying.

Extend this logically. If government can force a pharmacist to sell a product which violates his moral code, then government can force you to do the same.

G'head. Don't believe me. It is already happening. You, yes you, are being forced by your government to do things which you morally and ethically object to doing.

Yes, I can prove it too. Pick something you are vehemently opposed to. Anything. I will find a government program which promotes, supports and encourages that, if not attempting to enforce that side by legal fiat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.