The Gross National Debt

Monday, October 14, 2013

With age comes many things

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
It may be a deeply bred sense of responsibility. It may be age. I'm chalking this one up to middle age.

To 'splain:

www.BakerBrosPR.com

This is the writing company I own with my brother. We write. Pick a topic and we've probably written about it. Not kidding either.

What we've written over the years goes up to master's level dissertations. Not done that or any kind of more advanced writing yet, but we did get a request to do a Master's paper. When the guy was quoted the price he declined. I suspect he had to push his eyeballs back into place too.

We have a pretty big client based in Europe. Assignments coming across the pond have a specific word length for the articles. In an effort to hit that mark, I went searching one day for a word counter online.

I found Word Counter. 'Mazing how that just happened to have the very words I was looking for.

So I have been using this for a while. It counts words, characters and even gives you a keyword saturation count. For the work we sometimes do, this saturation is critical. So, I'm using this site and over the weekend I noticed there's a tip jar on the site.

Hrm. Now years ago, I'd have seen this tip jar, chuckled and went on about my business.

This stuck with me all weekend. So when I fired up PayPal on Sunday evening, I first put a fiver in the line. I looked at it for a while. I changed it to a $10.

The service is worth the $10 I sent to 'em.

I also use my freelance money to kick a bit toward Georgia Public Radio and Irock109. In years past, I would not have. I'da reasoned it's a free service and I'll ride that horse til it's dead. Now? I feel an obligation to support, as limited as it is, this kind of service.

I appreciate what they do, I know it costs money and I believe if I use it, I should pay. As much as it bothers me to admit it, this kind of economy I participate in is exactly what Ayn Rand promoted.

I am so middle-aged. I just hope I'm a better student of the human condition than Rand ever was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.