The Gross National Debt

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Racism by any other name


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Well. That sums up this column...

February. The month of love and racism.

No? What about "Black History" month?

"Ain't racist, Baker. You are."
I'm just the reporter here.

Really? And on what evidence do you make that judgment?

"What you just said."

And if I tell you I did not say, I merely repeat the words of another?

"He's racist too."

Really? You say that not even knowing whom I quote.

"Yes."

Ah. Then please define racism. Let me help.

Racism - a belief that one group of humans is superior to another because of geography, ancestry or both. Evidenced by different treatment of these groups of humans based on that accident of geography, ancestry or both.

That being the case, I resubmit to you "Black History Month" is racist.

To back my case up, I present the following interview excerpt on which I base this statement. At the end of this column I'll tell you who the person being interviewed is.

I: Black history month you find…

M: Ridiculous.

I: Why?

M: You’re going to relegate (black)  history to a month?

I: Oh come on.

M: What do you do with yours? Which month is white history month?

I: Well, I’m Jewish

M: Ok, which month is Jewish History month?

I: There isn’t one.
And?


M: Oh, oh. And why not? Do you want one?

I: No.

M: Right. I don’t either. I don’t want a Black History Month. Black history is American history.

I: How are we going to get rid of racism?

M: Stop talking about it.

Before I explain the above, your thoughts?

The I: above is an interviewer (not me). The M: above is, I’ll still tell you at the end.

Why do we need a Black History month? Why should we set aside a month to observe such history?

Is it racist? What is racism anyway?

Another definition: Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination.
Time for a bit of logic...

Ah. By that definition Black History Month is racist. It is set aside, treated differently and given specific attention simply because of the “black.” part.

Don’t agree with me? Then you define racism.

Whatever you define, provided you are being rational about it, is going to come down to some sort of separation based on a perceived difference in “race.”


Talk to me. I'm listening. Tell me where, why and how I'm wrong.


If you tell me "You just don't get it," I will agree. If you say "You can't understand it," then I will say you can't understand it it either. No to mention that's a cop-out. You don't want to explain.



You grok?

Setting aside a month to observe one “race” history is creating a difference.

You ain’t got to like the idea that Black History month is racist. But then you ain’t got to like reality either. But reality ain’t gonna change just because you don’t like it.
Or will yours come back marked NSF.

As the M: above says, the only way to get rid of racism is quit talking about it. Quit. Refuse to admit to race.

If enough people do this, then racism cannot exist because racism is a mental state. It’s in your mind, in other words. If you banish it from your mind, it can’t exist.

As long as you insist on different treatment because of race, and this includes Black History month, then racism will exist.

Who is the M: above? Not me. M: above is a very well respected member of the human race and that’s all you really need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.