The Gross National Debt

Sunday, May 8, 2011

I guess it was

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Being written on a borrowed computer, a PC, so no images for this one. Dunno how to do it. No. It is not the same as on a Mac. Mac is far simpler.

Shag said it must have affected me since I talked about it several times. I suppose he is correct. It's never happened before and it is the first one I've ever seen in person, much less alive.

To 'splain:

Went out Friday evening to check the hog trap. As I rounded the corner, I saw the trap door was down. Triggered. Probably coons, I thought. They are wont to do that.

I pulled up to the trap. No coons. A 45 or so pound wild hog. Reddish.

"Aaaaaight! Fresh pork. My favorite!"

I called Jim. He has a half interest in the trap and so gets first dibs on what is caught. He was "under the weather" and so begged off. I called SuperDave. He headed over to my house while I dispatched Saturday's main course.

Then I saw it. I'd briefly suspected it, but said, no that can't be.

The hog, 45 pounds or so repeatedly charged me. I mean repeatedly. Not just once or twice. Again and again and again.

I've had 150 pound boars who didn't act that way. They'd charged a time or two and get in the far corner of the trap.

I thought this was a boar as well. When I finally got it, nope, sow.

Never had a sow charge me.

It was a razorback.

I know what I am talking about. I have killed I forget how many wild hogs and never seen a razorback, except on walls and in pictures.

This one was. The hair on her spine stood straight up, angled slightly forward.

This was the meanest hog I have ever killed. She popped the trap door loose and got out. I blistered the .22 I was carrying, putting one in the spine that knocked her down. She was trying to get away.

Had it been a 100 pounds or more, or a boar, it would have charged me. Of that I have no doubt.

I've been charged by hogs before, in the open. Didn't phase me a bit.

But this one, a razorback, yeah, it affected me even if she didn't charge me once free of the trap.

Such hogs, when grown, are the reason I like to stalk hogs in the wild with a partner. One of us carries a high capacity mag rifle and the other a shotgun with an extended mag.

This hog was also a yearling, which means more razorbacks roam the same creek bed.

Yeah. It affected me.

I'm ready to find Daddy and put him on my wall. I want him almost as bad as I want a Cape Buffalo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.