The Gross National Debt

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Does REM know?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
Prepare yourself.

Watched that? Ready? Good.

Because next Saturday is the BIG RIDE, at least according to these folks.

Telling quote: "We budgeted everything so that, on May 21, we won't have anything left," Adrienne adds.

and

"If I'm here on May 22, and I wake up, I'm going to be in hell," says Brown. "And that's where I don't want to be. So there is going to be a May 22, and we don't want to be here."

 In case you are wondering, this is a year before the Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world. That is if Mayan researchers correctly understand the Mayan calendar.

And if the other doomsdays predictors are wrong. As they have been.

Unless they weren't.

"Narrator: There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

So stated Douglas Adams in his amazing book Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Lemme get a tad more existential on you.

Maybe the world has ended, Maybe it ends and is re-created instantaneously.

OK, that was REALLY existential. While I reel myself back in from the far side of over yonder, lemme suggest this which is a bit more grounded.

What is yesterday?

Can you get to it?

Can you affect it?

Yesterday is gone forever. You cannot absolutely empirically prove it ever existed.

So, perhaps the world did end yesterday. Because today is a new day, something never before seen, unexpected, unanticipated and unknown.

Maybe the world will end May 21. If it does and May 22 rolls around, then I'm not seeing a whole lot of inconsistency there.

Arg. Someone send out a search party. I've dropped so far off the deep end I ain't gonna be able to find my way back.
Anyway, these folks who believe the world will finally and irrevocably end on May 21 and it doesn't, especially the couple with a small child and one on the way... I dunno.

I certainly do not feel sorry for them. I do feel sorry for the kids.

I do suspect if the world continues on May 22, the doomsayers will AGAIN said they misfigured and will come up with yet another doomsday based on the Bible, the Mayan calendar, a comet or Elvis on a piece of toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.