The Gross National Debt

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Death sentence - warning graphic image

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
One of my favorite National Public Radio shows is This American Life. Show No. 480 was called "Animal Sacrifice." Part three discussed the show's host Ira Glass and his dog Piney.

Piney is a pound pooch, a rescue. Huzzah for that!
Straight up.

Piney is allergic to a LOT of things and his diet has to be changed periodically as he develops an allergy to what he'd been eating. F'dang.

Piney also takes medications. No worries mate! Lotsa entities do.

Piney takes medication to keep him calm. Ummm. Ok.

When going outside for regular bathroom breaks, Piney wears a muzzle. Ummm. Ok.

When coming inside from the every morning bathroom break, Ira's wife is almost always asleep. Inside the apartment they live in, Piney turns and lunges at Ira attempting to attack him. Say what?

When interviewed by the show's reporters, Ira said he could not remember how many people Piney had bitten. Ummm.

Two of those bitten were children.
Bonus points if you can tell me where this originally appeared.

Oh. Hell. No.

That dog needs to die. Now. Put a gun to it's head, pull the trigger and cease worrying the beast is gonna attack someone else.

I understand a lot of people will be horrified by my attitude.

Suck it up buttercup.

I got standing to talk. Do you?

The back of my head has a pair of scars, one not much visible these days. The other is considerably smaller than the original cut. This happens with scars over time.
Not me, but you get the idea.

The lacerations were from a neighbor's dog. It attacked me. About a minute after the dog attacked me, it died. The owner killed it with a shotgun.

No questions. No quarter. No recriminations. One. Dead. Dog.

As a teenager, I had a very expensive purebred dog. It attacked a child. Dad beat the dog until it was bleeding from the ears. Some time later it attacked another child. At my request, Dad killed the dog. I couldn't do it.

Understand these dogs were not being taunted or teased. The dog just attacked.

Clan Genius has also shared living quarters with another dog that bit people. I was OK with that one. Athena, a blonde cocker spaniel, would bite any adult that got between her and my children if she didn't know the adult. No objections there. She was protecting my kids.  Athena died of natural causes.

JMSIII, AKA the Old Man, by best friend, college roommate and godfather to my daughter had a dog which bit Susan. I still regret not killing the damned thing that night. Some time later, it attacked one of his kids.

Dead. Dog. He had it put down.

Where I come from, dogs that attack children are killed. Quickly and usually by the owner.

Bite child = automatic death sentence. That's the way it should be. Ira Glass' dog needs to be killed. You don't have to like this or agree with it. But if you bring a dog around me and it attacks a kid, I'm killing it. On the spot.

2 comments:

  1. Some are just broken.

    Get a properly bred Staffordshire Bull Terrier, you practically cannot *make* the dog bite a person. They just don't. Originally used for pit fighting, any that bit people were instantly and summarily killed, - no questions, no quarter, no second thoughts or second chances. They culled it right out of the breed.

    A good dog won't bite unless seriously provoked, and anyone that does that deserves it. Pat the dog on the head. If the provoker was a child, the dog might have to go, but WHY WAS NO ONE WATCHING THAT KID?

    I'm with you, Ben.

    ===================

    On a totally separate note - well, not really, but kinda - best dog I ever had I got from the pound. She was awesome. My daughter *hurt* the dog by playing too rough, and she pushed the child down, held her with a paw, and looked to me for help. Good girl. Darling daughter, be more careful.

    Please, if you're going to get a pet, consider the pound... but know that you're taking your chances on a crap shoot. A good breeder won't let you have a bad dog. A good breeder won't let a bad owner have ANY dog.

    A bad breeder cranks out mutts like Piney for a buck, and it's your problem.

    Caveat Emptor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any animal that is a danger to everyone around them should be put down. Note I include People on that list. Unless the attack is a vicious all out attack, I can see letting it go once, perhaps even twice (IE someone startled the dog stepped on its tail etc so it reacted instinctively0, but in the above example the dog is a clear and present threat to pretty much everyone and should be put down.
    Now same aside as previous comments, I own two marvelous dogs that were rescued from horrible, abusive conditions. One was beaten regularly and her sister was locked into a kennel so small she couldn't move for her entire life. When we first got her, she couldn't even walk because her muscles had atrophied. Trellis and Trina had every right to be mean and cruel dogs from the abuse they suffered, but they are gentle sweet animals who want to do nothing more than love people.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.