The Gross National Debt

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Divided we beat each other up

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I am not long returned from the annual School Prayer breakfast. Among the speakers this year was a man who said the main problem is with the church. Jesus, as he said, wants the church to be unified, yet churches insist on being divided.

Need more fissures...
11 a.m. Sunday morning in America is the most segregated hour in the United States.

As this local preacher spoke, I restrained myself.

I wanted to jump up and point fingers across the room.

"YOU! YOU! YOU!" I wanted to yell. "YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN UNITY!"

I'm right too. Those very preachers at whom I wanted to hurl my accusation have told me - Told. Me. - they are not interested in unity. They are interested in segregation, separation, division and keeping people apart.

They are not going to admit that, in those words. Rather, their exact words are "I am not interested in hearing from (INSERT PERSON) unless he believes (INSERT TINY FRACTION OF THE BIBLE WHICH MINISTER BELIEVES IS THE SUM TOTAL OF THE BOOK)."
I don't want a slave. Nope nope nope.

The semantic comment is prezackly the same in the two quotes above.

And my blood pressure rises...

I have been told point blank and to my face that my interpretation of the Bible is not going to be allowed in many churches in Turner County. I reckon their Bible does not command us to love one another, accept each other and work together to build better individuals, families, communities and world. I reckon their Bible doesn't include the part about Jesus saying we're all sinners and His blood covers us all equally.

Then again, maybe their Bible does, but they reject those parts because it doesn't fit with what they wanna believe.

I reckon their Bible says they are better than I am. I'm good with that. I'm willing to let people like that be better than me. If being like them means I have to exclude certain people who just want to be included, then yeah, paint me purple-striped and kick me out of the community. I'll go hang out with the other people who've also been painted and kicked.

BTW, there's a lot more of them running around than people in churches today.

So I listened to the preacher tell us how the problem is the church is divided. Until the church unifies, things will only get worse.

Gotta say, I agree.

I note he was speaking about Christian unity. While the idea of a Muslim imam, a Sikh leader or a Buddhist also speaking crossed my mind, I quickly dismissed those. Stay on topic, I reminded myself.

I wanted to ask the preacher speaking to us: "So. Unity eh? Willing to let a Catholic Priest come conduct a service at your church."

I can only imagine his horrified expression.

"So, what about a lesbian Episcopal minister?" I wanted to ask.

Of course, had I asked THAT question, I'da been ushered right out of the school gym and invited to never return. Well, not really. No one would have the guts to act on what they were thinking.

They would only THINK it. Thinking it, Jesus says, is the same thing as doing it.

So, what are you thinking right now?

I reckon only perfect people - no. That's hyperbole. Better - I reckon only people with pre-approved sins are allowed in those churches.

And since my sins are not pre-approved, sanctioned and fit their model of a sinner saved by Grace, I'm on the outside looking away.

In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit I am in favor of separation, division and splits. People who want to bring harm to me and mine because of my belief structure, yep. They ought to be shipped to another planet without a space ship. People who'll let me conduct myself as I choose, I can get along with them.

Yassee, I do not say my choice is the ONLY choice. It's not. My choice works for me. I will gladly explain it to you if you ask, but I will not force it on you. You may believe as you wish as long as you are not going to force me to your belief system, or try to harm and kill me if I refuse.

Jesus wanted (wants) us all to get along. I'm willing to. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.