The Gross National Debt

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Atlas don't live here

In one of the Classical Mythologies, Atlas carried the world on his shoulders. In Discworld, A'Tuin supports four elephants that support the spinning disc that is the world. (Never mind the friction burns).

A few days agone, I felt like I was toting all of those at once. Yeah. It happens this time of year every year for the past 23 years. (Fire Ant Festival if you hafta know). But this year, lots of added burdens - ask and I shall not tell you.

Anyway, called out, yet again, to help I looked at the 30-minute drive ahead of me. I thought about the situation du minute. I started rolling the expected conversation through my head. The more I thought, the madder I got.

Ever been there? Start thinking and you just get madder by the minute?

PERSPECTIVE


On the drive, I came to an intersection. A funeral procession was turning, tying up the intersection. They turned right, I was headed straight. I could have zipped across without interrupting them,

Being raised the right way, I waited until everyone went through the intersection before I crossed.

Suddenly, I was not mad anymore. Seeing those cars with their lights on, following a hearse to a cemetery ... perspective.

The mortal remains of whoever was in that coffin...

They don't have to worry about new tires, mortgage payments, what is for dinner, keeping appointments and so on. Everyone who relied on that person, they cannot anymore. They have to make their own way now or find someone else to lean on.

IN THE MEANTIME



Until and if I'm taken to the last piece of real estate I'll ever need, I'm still here. More or less ambulatory (depending on this bum knee) and capable of doing stuff. Can't do as much as I used to, but I know more than I used to.

As I sit writing this (ignoring other work that pays a LOT more; made 13¢ this month through my blogs here), I am reminded of people I know and knew. Too many left this realm of existence far too early for my taste. Too many left behind people who needed 'em. I needed them.

I still need some of 'em. But they are not here so I have to manage as I can.

Of those who are not here and are still here, some won the battles. Some lost.

In the meantime, I'm still here. I will do what I can.

In the meantime, people count on me. I'll be there for 'em, as I can. More to the point, I'll be there for 'em if they let me. That's critical and if you don't get it, I'm not gonna explain any further.

DON'T SWEAT


David Lee Roth once said, "Don't sweat the little shit. It's all little shit." He is right.

If you don't believe that, visit Emory Children's Hospital one day. Visit the kids fighting cancers that will eventually kill them despite the world's best medical treatment and the most impassioned prayers you can imagine.

It may seem a crushing burden now. Put it in perspective.

It's little shit.

LEAN ON ME

I am burdened. No doubt. But so far I have a 100 percent success rate in shouldering these things.

Whatever does not kill me, makes me stronger.

— wow. That was an impressive burp even for me. It's a LandShark night. —

Where was I? Right. Getting stronger.

I will bear up under this. I will be the person others can lean on.

Because it won't be long until I need someone to lean on, and they will be there for me.

Yeah. Atlas don't live here. He took the burden alone. Me? I gots friends. I gots peeps who I can lean on because they want to be there for me. So many of 'em.

Right now, for some of them, it is their turn to do some leaning.

So, if you need to lean on me. We'll get through this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.