The Gross National Debt

Friday, December 13, 2013

Everyone has a price

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This is not about religion, but I do mention it briefly to make a point.

Some many years ago when I was but a reporter I lost an argument with an editor. At the end of that day he was still the editor and I was looking for a job. I found one in Tallahassee working stock and returned goods for a giant chain department store.

One of my supervisors, a devout Christian, and I were discussing something about how everyone has a price. I told him even Jesus had a price. He gave me a blank look and said I was wrong. I then pointed out Jesus paid a debt for us, ergo, even He had a price. My supe admitted I was right.

Some time back I talked with longtime friend in the public relations field, Bud. Bud buys ads in the newspaper and sends press releases. As we talked, Bud squelched a rumor I'd heard. Bud also said it was good that I had nothing bad to write about his company.

The slight reference hearkened me back a few years. A local elected official criticized Bud's company. The elected official said under no circumstances would she hire anyone recommended by Bud's company. The elected official said she knew personally knew the people being recommended. The comments were made in a public meeting. No question it'd be in the newspaper.

Being responsible, I called Bud and asked for a reply for the newspaper story.

The fur began to fly. I was accused of attacking Bud's company, attacking Bud and being out to get everyone there.

I just asked for a comment. To repeat: the elected official made the remark in a public meeting and the remark went on the record.

But hey, I'm used to people wanting to shoot the messenger.

Eventually some "heavy hitters" got called in. Whether Bud called or Bud's boss called for backup, I do not know. Reinforcements definitely arrived. Serious reinforcements.

I gently explained, again, the comment was made on the record, in a public meeting by an elected official. It was going in the paper. The reinforcements objected again and urged me to do the right thing.

I did the right thing.

It went in the paper.

Which reminds me of when some local elected officials took offense at my writings and letters to editor in the paper. They asked me to stop it.

Pretty sure you know what happened.
 
Getting no satisfaction from me, they went over my head to the paper's owner. He told 'em if they had an issue with what went in the paper they could write a letter to the editor which would be published. What I was doing would continue.

It continued.

Over the years people have gone to great lengths to try to make me not put something in the paper. They have offered plenty, but none have met my price.

Yes I have a price. The price is truth.

You may not like the truth, but it beats living a lie. At least it does to me.

If the truth hurts, yer living wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.