The Gross National Debt

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Beating you to death with your own horse

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
OK, so the title is a badly mixed metaphorical analogy. By now you should be used to that.

Afore I get started, please read this by my longtime friend. Now, please exclude the comments about abortion, Christianity and religion. Examine the substance of what she says.

I believe this can be summed up nicely in the two statements I ripped from her blog:

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, or whatever. I am being forced as an religious context deleted to support something that is a violation of my conscience.

Cut the apron strings. Stand on your own two feet.


Oo. Well said, well said, well said. BooYAH!
Gratuitous RHPS image.

Point 1: She is forced to support something with which she has moral and ethical disagreements. I suspect a majority of people object to being forced to support that which goes against their conscience.

I also know these people, if given the opportunity, would take strong measures to prevent themselves from being forced to support stuff they disagree with. They'd even enact laws and create criminal penalties to prevent being forced to give that support.

Careful with that dead horse, Eugene!

When you decide to legally eliminate support for things you disagree with, then parity, equality, fairness, etc etc etc require that you extend the same right to other people. What are they going to eliminate? What pet projects of yours are gonna be cut? What will be made illegal?

Fortunately my friend has the answer in part two.
Close enough.

S'right. Get off your butt and on your feet. Unless of course you can completely support yourself on your butt. In which case, more power to you.

Stand on your hands for that matter.

One-handed pushups? Rock it like Jack Palance!


If asked, the majority of people I know would also endorse this concept whole-heartedly. Would you? Really?

I doubt it.

Most people will support that idea.

Except when it gets personal.

Except when it it becomes uncomfortable.

Except when it affects them (you) directly.

Except when I apply your reasoning and logic to things you do which I disagree with. Then, I'm wrong, again, and have obviously misunderstood your point. Except I didn't. No one likes to have their own words used against them.

The problem is most people are in full support of parity, being equitable, etc etc etc etc for everyone else. They (you) want special treatment.

Yeah. You do. Argue with me all you want, but when it comes right down to it, your rights are far more important to you than my rights are to you. Again, argue all you want. The empirical evidence is weighted so heavily to my position, yours might as well be on Mars.

Pick a topic. Abortion. Gay marriage. Employment. Taxes. Government supplied services. G'head.

Few are the people who will truly stand up and say "Yeah. I said it. I meant it and if you apply it to me, I'm gonna like it!" I'm trying to be that kind of person, but I admit I have a ways to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.