The Gross National Debt

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Will you so shut up already!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I remember asking my mother many years ago if there was anything she'd done which she regretted.

She said no. I forget the reason she gave, but it probably was something along the lines that everything she'd done made her into the person she was.

"Regret the wasting of precious time feeling guilty about past mistakes. Mistakes are a thread in the blanket of our character." This is swiped from a FB post. I have corrected typos and probably added some of my own.

Brilliance in a few words. Whatever you have done, whenever you did it has led to you this point.

"Without them (mistakes) we wouldn't learn."

Can I get a witness? The only people who do not make mistakes do nothing. They are dead. Or might as well be. I'd like to think I have learned far more from my mistakes than my success. That may not be true, but I have certainly learned much from my mistakes.
Passion. Get you some.

"We have all made decisions in our lives that are driven by passion. Whether it be love, anger or just excitement. We sometimes dive into the water without sticking our feet in to check the temperature. Looking back on past mistakes should done with a smile, if you look back at all. The lessons we learned from them and sometimes the fun we had while making them should make them mistakes that were worth making."

Testify! Complaining about a mistake will not change what happened. My late Grandpa was an expert at dealing with the here & now, planning for the future and not worrying about what happened. I wish I could be more like him. What happened, happened. In his eyes you learned from the mistake, decided to not repeat it and moved on. If something needed fixing, you took care of that and then moved on.

 "A person who tries every day to make no mistakes isn't living bit suffocating under the misery of an unreachable expectation."

I disagree. I set out every day with the intention of making no mistakes. I do screw up and do it often. But I do not intent to. I set forth daily to be a complete success. I am not unique when I tell you I have achieved a day without a single mistake. I happened to be flat on my back in a hospital bed at the time. That's not the way I want to achieve perfection though.

Set goals and set them high. You may fall short, but you will be on the way.

"To regret is to be the one who decides what is right and wrong. You are not qualified to determine this."

I again disagree. If not me, whom? I make decisions regarding what is right and wrong. I have to believe that I am qualified and I have the power to make this decision. Those who never decide never do anything.

Lead, follow or get the hell out of my way!
Yeah. That works.

It is better to attempt and fail than to never attempt.

"Everything you do is a pebble thrown into a lake. The ripples will spread outward and have an effect on other peoples lives."

Reminds me of the storm butterfly, a physics concept. Every action has a cascade effect. What I do affects one or more people, who in turn affect other people and so on down the line.

And you still think I am not qualified to decide what is right and what is wrong?

"Something you did in your past that may have seemed utterly wrong to you, may have been the cause of changing someone else's life for the good. You will never know how your actions have affected the world, only how your actions have affected you."

Ummm. Do two wrongs make a right? How many wrongs make a right? Is the sum of the parts greater than the whole? Do the ends justify the means? Too much to quantify in this statement. This must be a case-by-case matter.

"So, to regret is a selfish emotion."
Speaking of personal demons, can we get an exorcist over here?

Ayup. Get out of your pity party and move on. If you are not happy with who you are, there's one person to blame. We've all fought personal battles, exorcised personal demons and gone lance to snout with personal dragons.

So, learn your lesson, shut up already and move along.

S'called tough love.

"Do not regret the mistakes that make you whom you are today, but rather cherish them. And in the last minute of your life, feel sorrow for not having time to make more of them."

Eh. I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.