The Gross National Debt

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Resenting the impact


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
A lot of people resent the impact I have on my community. And I don't mean the kind of impact that happens when I fall down on the sidewalk.
What happens when I go to meetings.

I'm not alone. There are a good number of people now living here who are not natives to this community. A handful of these people are having serious impacts on this community. We guide discussion. We influence policy. Some of us even make policy. We are determining parts of the future of this community.

Some people, natives, do not like this. A very small few will work openly and actively against us. The majority who do oppose us newcomers prefer to work in the shadows, behind the scenes and in places where they can't be held to account for their actions.

At the same time, some of the native folks welcome us, our ideas and are standing shoulder to shoulder with us to get things done. But I do not refer to them. I am just talking about the ones who complain.
Wherefore art thou, Ozymandis?

My community is not unique. Everywhere I have lived "outsiders" who get involved and try to do things are resented by some people.

Look closely.

What have the get-involved newcomers done for the community?


A lot.

This is what primarily builds resentment. The new folks, the resented ones anyway, are rolling up their sleeves and getting stuff done.  The old crowd resents this. They see their edifices being eroded, covered, dismantled and taken down.

These complainers want to rest on the laurels of their parents and grandparents. They want to stand on the accomplishments of 30 years ago, accomplishments most of them had little to nothing to do with.

Communities don't work that way. Communities are constant work in progress. Lead, follow or get embedded in the pavement.
Because last year is now in a history book.

For instance, our School Board recently tore down the old segregated school, over some objections. The old buildings were literally falling in. Yet, some complained.

In its place will go up a new series of apartment buildings.

Eventually, those apartments too will come down, to be replaced.

The people who complain about me and those like me being so involved in the community and wielding so much power and influence only complain. They don't do anything.

If they would get up and put forth some effort, they would learn a few things. But, they prefer apathetic complaints. I repeat myself. Sorry.

If you are one of those who gets things done, I salute you. If you are one of those who complains about people getting things done, I have a place for you too. Right in front of the asphalt roller. At least there you'll make an impact that will last for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.