The Gross National Debt

Monday, November 9, 2015

Your rights make a wrong

They just don't get it. Don't want it. Will throw it down and stomp on it if you try to give it to them

I refer you to some, not all, college students today. This asinine crap proves my point, but doesn't at the same time

Here is why it doesn't. The kids blocking media access to the protesting students have the right to do that. S'called freedom of assembly. The same people who bitch about these kids blocking access to the protestors glad line the streets to block Westboro Baptist Church's efforts to protest funerals.

Here's why it proves my point. These same students blocking access to protestors will cry "FOUL!" when Westboro Baptist Church is blocked off.

At least that's my short, round jaded newspaper editor's cynical (and accurate summation of human nature) guess.

What's the difference? Ain't none, except what side of the protest you happen to be on.

I say here that I like the way the Mizzou protestors handled their grievances. Rather than petition government to increase the size of the nanny state, they took matters into their own hands. This is the way things should be done. More importantly, it is MORE proof that this kind of social activism works. We do not need more f'dangin' laws when we have people who will put themselves out in order to get something done.

That said. I am not supporting the goal of these students. I am not supporting the reason for their protest. I am not supporting the protesting students. I support their action.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall

In fact, I object to what I think is the overall aim of the protesting students. As I see it, they want to shut down free speech.

One of the protestors was called "nigger." This is a quote; it is not my word.

It is a word. Using it is called free speech. If it is used with affection, it is free speech. If it is used with hatred, it is free speech.

I do not use that word and do not approve of it. However, many people do use this word and do approve of it. Well, they approve when certain people use it. Should someone else use it, verboten!

Free speech means you get to use that word however you wish. You don't like it? Neither do I. Free speech means you may be offended. Free speech means the right to use offending language.

These protestors don't like that.

These are the same people who are demanding equal treatment. Except they probably want parity. I suspect quite a few of 'em could not define parity. They definitely do not want certain words used.

That's blocking free speech.

I wonder how many of these protestors freely use that word within the protest group.

Apply daffodils. This is exactly what they DO NOT want.

Pick one. You get to do X, so do I. That means if you use that word above, I get to use it too.

If I don't get to use the word, neither do you. Period. End of sentence. Full stop.

I've written on this subject before and gotten heated replies from people who tell me how wrong I am. To paraphrase me bud Maggie, yeah, I can tell forced justification when I hear it. Gonna hear more justification I suspect.

Here's the bottom line reality.

We are all human. We need to act that way. No more division.

As long as some people insist they get preferential use of anything, words included, then divisions will exist. Parity cannot exist. Daffodils sure as hell can't exist.

If you get to call someone by that word, regardless of the connotation, then I get to do the same. If you tell me I can't use that word, then you are actually saying one of two things:

You are better than me.

I am better than you.

If you are saying you can do it, but I can't, then you are telling me that I'm better than you.

You're wrong, but if that's the way you want to see things, I'll live with it.

If you truly believe that as humans we are equal, you'll say I can use the word or neither of us can use the word.

Anything else is you trying to justify your fractured belief system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.