The Gross National Debt

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Getting my attention


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
As a newspaper editor, I am wanted. Admittedly a lot of people want to get ahold of me to strangle me, but some people want me because they believe I can get them free publicity.

My spam folders fill every day with requests for free PR. Increasingly less common is snail mail requests. Most of these go to File 13 unopened and unread. Every now and then, one merits opening.

It is always MORE than just a standard envelope with a few pages shoved inside. It's ALWAYS thick, many times a box and often oddly shaped.

The best one EVER was more than 20 years ago when a fish finder company introduced an truly new underwater fish sonar. It was called SideFinder and this one look to the SIDE of the boat instead of straight down. The PR campaign was a week long. Each day I got a box. Inside was a fortune cookie. I opened the cookie for a cryptic message. The final delivery was the PR package explaining the previous fortune cookies.

A very expensive PR campaign, but if I remember it 20+ years later, it shows how effective it was.

Crost my desk today is a stuffed envelope from a company called DipDip.com . I was expecting something comestible when I opened it.

Nope. I got Egg-Shaped Mini Christma stickers, DipDip Christmas Stickers and DipDip Magic Poker.

I call BS on No. 3. If you want to see REAL magic poker, attend one of the Isabella Poker Club meetings and watch how fast your wallet mysteriously empties. Happens to me every. single. time.

Anyway, goal achieved. They got free PR for their creative attempt to get my attention. You have the website. Go ye forth to learn more if you want to. It's something to do with education. Me? I've learned enough about the company. I'm gonna give the stickers to a child and slide the cards into my next hand at the Isabella Poker Club meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.