The Gross National Debt

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Some quality time

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I rolled out of bed at 6 a.m. today. Didn't sleep well, back still hurts from going out over a week ago. Finally decided, ahhhhh, yeah. Get up and get to it.

Stepped into the ground blind at 6:30 a.m. and was glad I did so. It was dark outside. The woods came awake around me and I was again glad I got up and went to a deer stand.

About 7:30, a deer moved at the every edge of my vision. I watched. Couldn't tell what it was. It moved closer and I saw antlers. Couldn't tell how big.

It stepped into a clear spot. Either a 6 point or an 8 point. A moment later, I confirmed it was an 8 point.

For more than 30 minutes God and I sat there and watched His creation walk around the feeder, being joined occasionally by other critters. A bit after 8 a.m. the young buck walked into the woods and I lost sight of him. God kept watching.

I could have shot him. No question. He was 5 yards away at one point. but I have two 8 points on my wall. He had a small rack. There are people in the hunting club who've never killed a nice racked-buck and a new member has never killed a deer at all.

It was not ENTIRELY altruism that let him walk. I really didn't relish the thought of dragging him out of the woods by myself. I also kept thinking if he stayed, another bigger buck might come in.  I'm not hunting for antlers, but if a wall-hanger comes by....

I hunt for meat, which he would supply. But I prefer does for the freezer. I waited and hoped a doe (which I would shoot) might come in.

That didn't happen. So he walked after entertaining Jesus and me quite thoroughly.

That's quality time, something I don't get nearly enough of.

It is well with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.