The Gross National Debt

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Exit stage whatever comes next

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
A very few people believe that if a living being is dying in a lot of pain, they should be left to die that way.

The vast majority of people would say if a living entity is in pain and is terminal, something should be done to alleviate that pain. Cancer patients and other terminally ill humans are routinely drugged into insensibility. Well, this done where such medications can be delivered.


In places where analgesics are not available, I suppose people die screaming.

Not the way I wanna go.

Quite a number of people, m'self included, support euthanasia. We believe it is our life, not yours. You have no right to regulate how I live and you have no right to regulate how I die.

A majority of us who own pets will opt to end our pet's life with a shot from a vet, or as some of us country folks do, a shot to the head with a .22,  if that animal is suffering from a terminal and painful disease. Yes. I have "put down" treasured family pets because they were suffering and the only end to it was death.

I was not happy about it. I cried in fact. If necessary, I'll do it again.

So lemme ask you, if you had the ability to prevent months of terminal suffering for some living creature, would you, could you take the step to end that suffering?
Doin' it the hard way. With spears.

This is why I support elephant hunting, albeit I doubt I ever get to shoot one. The only way I'd shoot one is if it was starving or was charging me or was rampaging and killing people.

But yeah. Elephants starve in the natural course of things.

"Elephants replace their teeth six times. At about 40 to 60 years of age, the elephant no longer has teeth and will likely die of starvation, a common cause of death."

For those of you who object to Wikipedia, "If this last molar doesn't last, the elephant won't be able to chew effectively and may starve," says bunnyhuggers. "May" starve. Consider this statement from the same article "They eat grasses, tree foliage, bark, bamboo, shrubs, roots and fruit. They also eat soil for its mineral content." This kind of diet requires molars because the food HAS to be shredded to aid digestion. HAS to be. So no molars = starvation. The bunnyhuggers say "may starve" in hopes of falsely casting doubt on the pain and suffering an old elephant goes through.

Yeah. If the old noble beast is suffering, bring it to an end quickly. That is honorable.
Predators hunt.

For those of you who say this is not honorable, I can only guess at the depths of sadism you are willing to plumb.

For those of you who say let nature take its course, I point you to the above image of an African tribal elephant hunt, a hunt which has gone on for thousands of years. Nature's way is that predators eat prey. Nature's way is that humans are the top predator.

If you eat meat, you don't have solid ground to complain about hunting. In the case of elephants and all African hunts, the animal is butchered and used to feed the autochthons of the area. No meat is wasted.


For those who say elephants are incredibly destructive, I agree.  Elephants do wreak havoc on the ecosystem. However, long term studies show this behavior is also self-regulating. In other words, elephants control their own populations as to not overburden their feeding grounds. Similar long term studies show that where elephants decimate trees, savannah takes over. Eventually trees return. This is a long term cycle and is natural.
http://molonlave2012.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-desperate-plight-of-starving-people.html

Those who like the idea of animal reserves, as I do, should consider this, which appears to fly in the face of the above observations. Oy. While you're busy looking at the game preserves, lemme ask you this - who funds these preserves?

Ah so. This is a good place to end this one as I'm about to get into the economics of hunting and that's not my intention today. Maybe tomorrow.

To close, lemme ad this: I could not be a natural photographer and documentary producer. I've seen the footage of starving wild animals and listened to the documentary producers say "this is nature's way." I could not do it. Shoot the poor beast and end its suffering. Humanity also means bringing a quick end to things.

In the meantime if you'd like to see what commentary has been generated so far, visit my Facebook page and see this thread.

Update: Second thread with the Wisdom of MacT. https://www.facebook.com/RedneckGenius/posts/10151561505936024

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.