The Gross National Debt

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

On meeting a legend

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Sitting down the tour bus with Richard Young, co-founder, vocals and guitarist for The Kentucky Headhunters, I was ready for a long interview and had plenty of questions to ask.

Didn't get to ask them.

Richard is well seasoned at the sit down and talk with reporters thing. Has to be. Having toured across the world, won grammies, earned a place as a Southern Rock Band legend and being the dad of Black Stone Cherry founder John Fred Young, he is no stranger to being interviewed.

To start with I thought the way he launched into the history of the KHH was part of a rote speech he'd given many times over. He pretty much covered everything I wanted to ask and spoke on some things I did not know to ask. I still think it was part rote, but I also have a different impression of it. His passion in telling story has not diminished over time. He may have told this story more times that he could count, but later on when my notebook closed and we shifted to other topics not for the interview and quite personal, his demeanor didn't change. The energy and passion remained.

We spoke to antiques, buying farms and guns. He showed the same interest in each topic, which he started. He talked of meeting rock legends and the friendships he's maintained through the years. He talked of the start of the band in 1968 and the shakeups it has gone through over the years. He talked of being a 15-year overnight success and playing with Hank Junior and rock and roll legend Johnny Johnson.

While the few minutes we took in the back of the tour bus will quickly be forgotten by Richard, I'm not going to forget. I hope Susan, my daughter, remembers this for years to come. Opportunities like that on Sunday night at the Cypress Grill at Lake Blackshear don't come around very often. Opportunities to see the great bands are also fast vanishing. So glad she and I got to share this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.