The Gross National Debt

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Whining is not a path to peace

Search Results

Web results

At Mary's sort-of suggestion, I bought the book - 

How to Stay Human in a F*cked-Up World

.

The first sentence of the book opens with the author saying Trump was elected president. He then speaks briefly of his wife's then-current battle with cancer.

This immediately left a sour taste in my mouth (not about the cancer). As I read through the book, I learned the author was one of the organizers (at least he so claims) of the Occupy Wall Street Movement.

Sour went to revolting.

I'm still going to read the book based on the exerpts Mary posted. I have already gleaned some great information from it, including the phrase "Toxic Righteousness."

I bought this book because I was and am interested in the things he has to say about dealing with the pain and suffering of this world. I'm interested in what he has to say about dealing with other people.

I have zero interest in reading his entitled-ass (yes, he is entitled and very wealthy. As of the printing of the dust cover on the book, he works as a head honcho for a Google global outreach program.) whining and bitching that the world is not lining itself up to meet his expectations. Here's the Amazon blurb about him - Tim Desmond--an esteemed Buddhist philosopher who has lectured on psychology at Yale and leads a mental health project at Google--offers a path to self-growth, connection, and joy like we've never seen before.

Ironically, the book is aimed at the exact opposite - how to accept and be happy with the world when things do not go your way.

No matter how much good I may draw from this book, everything will be coated with the taint from the opening line. As I peruse further, I find more and more whines, I may not be able to finish the book.

WHINE ON

Whingeing or whining is common enough. I suspect most everyone has done it. Some may accuse me of doing it in this blog. You may even be correct. That everyone does it, does not make it right. It is an infantile attitude and one we all should put behind us.

Desmond says to look for the good things instead of focusing on the bad. As he explains early on, if you have a toothache, you will almost constantly wish you did not have the toothache. Now that you do not have one, how much time do you spend focusing on the LACK of pain in your teeth? That is certainly a worthy insight.

Desmond could use plenty of examples like this instead of complaining about government. So far each time he mentions government, always negative to this point, he spectacularly fails to find something good to focus on. On all the other miseries of life he discusses, he either finds something good to put his attention on OR explains how to let the negative exist, be accepted and by doing that, reduce the impact.

I prefer the way Frank Herbert put it:

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

BUDDING BUDDHA

Like Desmond, the more I learn about Buddhism, the more I like and appreciate it. I hope this book brings me a greater understanding of this way of living and mindset.

I say this as a Pentecostal evangelist.

There is no contradiction.

As Dennis says, "Buddhism is a worthwhile adjunct to any faith because it is a philosophy rather than a religion in itself."

Buddhism, as I understand it, is learning to accept that which we cannot change and change that which we can. It's core structure is similar to Christianity, i.e. love others unconditionally. Buddhism, as I understand it, lets the individual decide for himself about a Higher Power.

The object of Desmond's book is to help people be at peace with themselves first and then be at peace within an ever expanding circle. In that regard, it is exactly what the Bible teaches.

Maybe I'll finish this book. Maybe I won't. Either way, I will be accept it and that is what Desmond says is the important part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I welcome lively debate. Attack the argument. Go after a person in the thread, your comments will not be posted.